My Sewing Machine

Saturday, August 15, 2009

A late entry to the Sew, Mama, Sew meme:

What brand and model do you have?
Kenmore 19001

How long have you had it?
I truly don't remember when it was purchased but it was sometime before 1997.

How much does that machine cost (approximately)?
I don't remember (as it was a gift from my parents and was purchased over a decade ago), but I would guess around $700?

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?
I have sewn quilts, purses, pillows for my couch, curtains, clothes, just about everything.

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?
I sew a moderate amount, but I don't think the machine gets a lot of wear and tear. I'm not using it for hours upon hours everyday. (Yet.)

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?
I like my machine. The embroidery technology is a bit old and clunky, but I don't use that much anymore anyway. And no name for my machine. If I had to come up with one on the spot, I'd call her Trudy.

What features does your machine have that work well for you?
The stitch lock feature. I love using it, but boy, those locks are hard to rip out!

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?
The embroidery technology, like I said. It takes these clunky, expensive cartridges that you can't even buy without special ordering them from Sears, and it doesn't allow for fancy monogram styles. That, and it sure is heavy!

Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!
I don't remember any exciting stories...sorry!

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?
Compared to what else is out there, no I wouldn't. If I needed to buy a new machine, I wouldn't choose this one as a replacement.

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?
Decide what kind of sewing you are interested in and what kind of sewing you will be doing the most. If you don't care about embroidery or monograms, don't spend extra for a machine with that feature.

Do you have a dream machine?
A Bernina 830. Hey, dream big, right!? But seriously, any machine with a stitch regulator and some good monogram embroidery features would be a dream for me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment